Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: kodachrome and halogen lights

  1. #1
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    hello!

    I know Kodachrome is Tungsten Balanced and so is developed for indoor lighting.
    My Question is if I try and light an indoor (or outdoor at day or night) scene using Halogen spotlights what effect will this have if any?
    My plan is to shoot it all without the daylight/sunlight filter.

    Good plan?

    THanks!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jon P's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2001
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In mixed light; if you film without the daylight filter in, any natural light will be very blue whilst the artificial light will be ok. With the daylight filter in your natural light will be balanced ok but your artificial light will be really orange. I would go without the filter and make sure the subject you are lighting is balanced correct and frame out as much of the natural light as possible. On DV you have the option to white balance but it never looks particularly good.

  3. #3
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    Hi Jon

    Thanks for the answer, thats pretty much what I thought. Basically, any sunlight will appear on the film with a bluish tint, unless filtered.
    However filtering artificial light will give a blue tint.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bucaneer american's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2002
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you could always put a filter over the artificial light source. see how that works out.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member lightfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Filtering the artificial light with blue gel for using the camera with an orange filter is not the best solution. The blue gel cuts out a lot of light, as does the orange daylight filter, and you'll lose about 2-3 stops to play with.

    Much better is to shoot without the camera filter and put some orange filter over the windows. I am guessing here but I think something around 85 orange should give a reasonable result. I have studied cinematography, but not as deeply as some, who really really know about this stuff, but I think it will look wierd and orange to the naked eye but look balanced to the camera.

    Hold on, I've just realised something. The viewer will expect the window to be at least a little bit bluer, so not so strong as 85 would be better, so it's not so startlingly blue, but still a little bluer than the indoor light.

    Hope this is helpful.

    Lucas

  6. #6
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    hello

    thanks for the comments. Im really not after a subtle effect I just want an exposure that doesnt look poor (like with a the blue tint). Im reluctant to use the filter because I dont want to loose any stops.
    I suspect that halogen lights(since they arent tungsten) will look a little strange, but I can live with it.
    One this is done and developed Ill post the results here.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For what it's worth, I have shot a lot of Ektachrome VNF 125 in halogen lighting with great results. I bring this up because this stock is tungsten balanced too. I have gotten no blue tint with my 85 filter disengaged, even with this blue-predisposed filmstock! Then again, Kodachrome may act different but I doubt it...

  8. #8
    Inactive Member calgodot's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8th, 2001
    Posts
    145
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    The H2 from Kodak on filters and color temperature does not list halogen light sources.

    So I did some checking with my gardening friends who grow things under lights. According to them, the color temp of halogen is standradly measured as 3,000K.

    This is close enough to 3200 that tungsten film would not show a perceptible color shift. And if there is some shift, it will be toward the warmer spectrum, i.e. red, and not cool blue.

    Unless I'm wrong of course. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •